We’re kind of obsessed with fun engagement sessions around here! Not only are they our first chance to really get to know each other as couple & photographer, but they’re also more laid-back and slower-paced than the wedding day.
I love to include engagement sessions in The Wedding Experience because I truly believe that they are a VITAL part of the entire process. During your engagement session, you’ll have the chance to get to know me, experience how I shoot and how I handle posing and lighting. This session will make a HUGE impact on how the wedding day flows. I’ll arrive on your wedding day already knowing how you two interact, what your best poses are and how to photograph you in a genuine way! What I will learn about you during your engagement session is invaluable! You will feel like such a pro on your big day because of the great practice you had during your engagement session, and that’s how it should be!
Fortunately, even right now in the midst of COVID, engagement sessions can still occur pretty much as they normally would! We’re outside, there’s definitely less than 10 of us, and y’all aren’t staying 6 ft apart from each other anyway, but I can shoot more than 6 ft away from you! 🙂
Here are 10 tips that will help you prepare for the day and help ease jitters, so things are as fun & smooth as possible!
1) Get your hair and makeup done. Splurge. It is such a fun chance to get pampered as well as being able to try out a hair/makeup artist you are interested in using for your wedding day.
2) Don’t be afraid to be BOLD! Accessorize and make your outfits your own! Scarves, bold necklaces and fun shoes are always welcomed! The camera takes away so much…so accessories and layers are so helpful!!
3) MOST PATTERNS are actually ok…. however, graphics are not favorable for portraits. If you’re wearing a pattern, make sure it’s not overwhelming and distracting.
4) Be sure to check out my Pinterest boards for more outfit inspiration if you’re having trouble!
5) Empty your pockets! Literally. You don’t want to have keychains or phones showing through your pockets. (This is for the guys especially!)
6) Most often, couples like to have one casual, everyday outfitand then one outfit that is dressier! This will give your shoottwo totally different “looks”. I recommend beginning with thedressy outfit first!
7) Make sure you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing. And ladies, if the top is super low cut, that will limit the number of angles I can shoot from.
8) BE ON TIME! The sun is only out for so long! The later you arrive, the less time we have to shoot! And nobody wants that!
9) Clean the ring & paint your nails! I love to shoot a few ringsshots as details! So the cleaner the better!
10) Relax! You don’t have to be a pro at this! I’m going to helpyou along the way and it’s going to be a blast! Enjoy this time together, and make a date out of it! Plan dinner afterward and celebrate!
Next time we’ll talk start times & other logistics…all the details that will create the perfect setting for your beautiful photos!